Last week many directors of social service agencies were told that their budgets would be cut by 44% rather that the 8% they had been told. They were understandably upset. You can read about it in the post below this one.

Now apparently the city is rethinking the cuts.

Development Director Boyce Safford III told City Council members tonight that no decision has been made to cut funding that was set aside in February for 51 agencies, despite a May 20 letter from him warning them to expect less money from the city.

The letter, which used the word “cuts” three times, “was a little confusing,” Safford said.

The Columbus Dispatch

Yea, I’m sure that’s it. It probably had nothing to do with the outcry over the clumsy way the administration handled this situation.

Regardless of their motivation I’m glad that they are going to take a second look. It’s not yet a win for these agencies, but at least there is hope.

  • Share/Save/Bookmark

Comments

2 Responses to “Columbus Now Says No Decision Made on Cutting Social Service Agencies”

  1. LisaRenee on June 1st, 2009 10:54 pm

    It’s good news!

  2. Madrigal Maniac on June 1st, 2009 11:04 pm

    Yes it is!

Leave a Reply | Basic HTML Allowed | Live Preview Below